Well I may be in a blogging hiatus but not due to lack of sewing projects, more so the inability to take decent pictures of my makes! My two Elna’s have been getting a workout lately and I think it might be time for a service and/or upgrade. A coverstitch machine would be the bomb!
Today’s subject is my new favourite wardrobe staple. As part of my Winter Sewing Goals I wrote of my need for more tunic dresses and/or trendy yet comfortable outfits. This one ticks all those boxes and makes the transition from comfy weekend dress to classy casual getup really easy.
The pattern is New Look 6298. I was at Centrepoint Fabrics when I saw the stripey knit fabric and had to have it. It took a while before I twigged what should be made with it. The fabric is medium-weight and very stable with a moderate stretch.
I cut a size 14 based on the size chart and left the length as per the pattern, without extending the bodice like I’d normally do. Next time I’ll make a size 10. I originally made no attempt to pattern match the stripes on the sleeves and then realised at the end of cutting out that it would look really terrible so I recut the sleeves and only just managed to squeeze them in on the fabric I had left. Totally worth it though.
Everything sewed up really quickly with the exception of those damn striped sleeves! But after the fifth time of unpicking and resewing one tiny little area I finally got there in the end. And my nit-picking paid off because the stripes are perfectly in sync and I’m happy about that every time I look in the mirror and see them in their continuous little rows.
There were great debates about the appropriate length to choose – initially I was planning on making it more of a tunic/slouchy jumper to wear over boots and leggings but then promptly decided that was a waste of good fabric. So it ended up being a short(ish) dress, long enough to wear bare legs underneath but also ok with opaque stockings and boots. Having worn it several times already, I think the length is perfect. If I ever get sick of it I’ll just chop it off and wear it like a jumper. Winning!
It was a very simple make, which is a bit obvious because it’s an “easy” rated New Look pattern. No darts, no easing seams and only six pattern pieces. The first time I tried it on I was swimming in it so I pared down the centre back and side seams, and also the sleeves. I’m not the biggest fan of raglan sleeves. Sometimes they feel a bit lazy due to the fact that they don’t really require accurate fitting and it’s kind of a one-size-fits-all approach. And they seem a lot more casual than normal set in sleeves. But for the purposes of this garment I can live with them. This dress was supposed to be slouchy and it is, so I filled that brief.
As for the insides, it’s unlined, and I finished the edges with my overlocker. The hem and sleeves are just overlocked, turned under and lightning stitched with a twin needle. Same with the neck binding. The stitching at the little V in the front is a wee bit off centre but I can live with that. I’m sure only fellow sewing peeps would notice that!
I do plan to make a couple more of these, once I have tailored the existing pattern a little more to streamline the fit. The pattern lends itself to any number of fabrics so I can see it becoming an enduring pattern in my stash.
Pattern: New Look 6298
Size: 14 based on my measurements, with modifications (narrowing of the bodice and sleeves, shortened length).
Fabric: 50% Rayon, 50% Polyester grey and white striped knit from Centrepoint Fabrics
Approximate cost: 1.6m @ $40/m = $64